I got my Diploma (5-year degree) from the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens in 2010. I majored in power and energy and minored in computer systems. During my final year, I worked in the group of Prof. Nikos Hadjiargyriou on Game theoretic analysis of Microgrids.
Then, I moved to Belgium where I did my PhD at the University of Liege working in the group of Prof Thierry Van Cutsem. My PhD was on fast power system dynamic simulations. Basically, I used domain decomposition and parallel computing methods to develop faster than real-time dynamic simulations that can be used for predictive analysis of power systems to avoid blackouts. This involved a lot of modelling, numerical analysis, and parallel programing. During my PhD, I was lucky enough to collaborate with many industrial companies and the algorithms developed during my PhD are currently being deployed by Hydro-Quebec.
Afterwards, I took a position as postdoctoral researcher at the group of Prof Gabriela Hug at ETH Zürich in Switzerland. I mainly worked on the European H2020 project MIGRATE trying to develop new control algorithms for future, low-inertia, power systems. I also worked on the co-optimization of the planning and operation phase of active distribution networks.
Between 2016 and 2019, I was an Assistant Professor at the School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering of the University of Leeds in the UK.
Since January 2020, I am a Lecturer at the Cyprus University of Technology. I mainly work on the modelling, simulation and control of electric power systems. With the advent of Smart Grids and the extended reliance on ICTs for their operation, my research has spanned a broad spectrum of topics evolving around cyber-physical systems. Check out my research interests and my publications for more details.
I’ve put together a timeline below with some milestones of my life. You can also read my Full CV.
- New job Jan 2020I joined the Cyprus University of Technology as a Lecturer
- New job Sep 2016I joined the School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering of the University of Leeds as a Lecturer (Assistant Professor)
- New family member Jun 2016My daughter is here 😍
- New job Aug 2015I joined the group of Prof Gabriela Hug at ETH Zürich as a postdoctoral researcher
- Graduated my PhD Jun 2015Got my PhD in Engineering Sciences!
- PhD position Oct 2010I joined the group of Prof Thierry Van Cutsem to do a PhD in modelling and simulation of electric power systems
- Graduated my Diploma Jun 2010Got my Diploma (5-yr degree) in Electrical & Computer Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens
- Starting my Diploma Sep 2005I joined the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens